Understanding vaginal odor, including causes and remedies on how to prevent and get rid of the unpleasant smell permanently.
Vaginal odor, usually characterized by a “fishy” smell, typically is a result of an increase in organisms that are usually found in the vaginal region. You might start to notice or detect vaginal odor after you have sex. Some additional symptoms that can come with vaginal odor are vaginal discharge and vaginal itching or sensitivity.
Usually, what brings about vaginal odor is bacterial vaginosis, or an overgrowth of bacteria. Sometimes, sexually transmitted diseases might bring about vaginal odor. In some rare cases, vaginal odor can be brought on if you forget to take a tampon out. You might experience vaginal odor as a result of a rectovaginal fistula – an irregular opening in between the vagina and rectum – which permits feces to get into the vagina.
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Poor hygiene
- Vaginal sweating
- Yeast infection
Less commonly, vaginal odor may result from:
- A forgotten tampon in your vagina
- Cervical cancer
- Rectovaginal fistula
- Vaginal cancer
Consult a physician if your vaginal odor is persistent.
Meanwhile, to minimize smelly vagina:
- Cleanse the external surfaces of your genital regions. While you’re taking a shower, apply a tiny amount of mild, unscented soap and wash it with lukewarm water.
- Try not to douche. Every healthy vagina is bound to have some bacteria and various organisms. Normal vaginal acidity helps maintains the balance of bacteria and keeps infections in check. Douching, however, can disrupt this sensitive balance.
Other popular remedies used to help get rid of vaginal odor:
- Try eating yogurt daily as yogurts contain healthy (lactobacilli) bacteria that can help prevent the overgrowth of yeast to combat both yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis that may be the cause for fishy vaginal odor.
- Garlic has strong anti-fungal properties and, like yogurt, has proven its value in treating yeast infections. Making a natural garlic paste or inserting a garlic clove in your vagina can help reduce vaginal odor.
- Tea tree oil is another natural remedy favored by many women. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil in some lukewarm water and then use this mixture to wash your vagina.
- Try Femanol, one of the popular herbal remedies taken orally to help get rid of vaginal odor. It contains many of the natural anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antiviral herbs and vitamins (such as garlic, neem bark extract, vitamin B, zinc and selenium) that helps eliminate vaginal odor by destroying the odor-causing bacteria, making Femanol a potent natural supplement for getting rid of vaginal odor permanently.
You May Also Like: